26 May 2006

It's all in a name

The last year or so it seems as though everywhere I turn someone is talking babies. Friends and family. Maybe I really am growing up. My sister-in-law gave birth to the first great-grandkid on both sides of my family last night. Sadly there are no great-grandparents to enjoy such their first great-grandson. Even so my brother and sister-in-law honored my granddad by naming their son Jack after him.

When I was told the baby's name I was surprised I hadn't guessed that would be the name. While my brother, sister and I were never close to my grandparents (due in part to never living less than a two days drive from them), my brother always had some sort of connection with my granddad. My brother even looks eerily like my granddad did.

I love it when babies' are named after people. It is like a legacy for those they were named after. I was named after 3 glorious ladies named Alice, each one lived/lives a notable life and I hope I can live up to the name. I had wanted to name a son after my granddad although I'm happy my brother beat me to it. It shows how great a person he was that two of us had the same thought.

With the parents Jack has, I am confident he will grow up to be someone people want to name their babies after.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! The baby talk will continue, but atleast it will calm down a lot now!
Tom