16 December 2005

Christmas Cards

This is the season people like to keep in touch will old friends or at least make a half-assed attempt at keeping in touch and seeming interested in old friends', acquaintances'', and families' lives. As a result of that I receive quite a few Christmas cards. Some are really sweet and are a card with a hand written note. Some just have a newsletter type letter that goes to everyone that person knows. Some of the newsletters have a line or two at the bottom personalizing the letter for the recipient. I think both of these types of letters are great even though most of the time 90% of the letter is about the good things going on in the writer's life and they just make you want to puke and feel like lesser of a person because you didn't win the peace prize or find a cure to cancer. But the third type of Christmas letter..this type is just not worth the time. This would be the cards that just sign your name. What is the point. Two lovely people in my family did this this year and I just don't get it. Is that worth the effort to get cards, find addresses, and the price of a stamp? I don't think so. Maybe these people think quantity in cards is more than quality of cards. But I don't think so. Maybe the cards with simply a name is ok if you see the person daily and just hand the card to them. But if you live across the country and rarely talk to the people..no card is almost better than a card with just a name. End rant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dunno, hon. Sometimes I think even a card with just a named signed is better than no card. It's a gesture. Hey I still care and think about you enough to find your address and spend postage. Yeah, a more personalized one would be better, but there are people from whom I'd be very happy to get just a signed card.

I thought about sending cards, but I don't think I'm going to bother.

Anonymous said...

Scrooge,
I hope you wake up on the right side of the bed and have a Merry Christmas.