27 March 2006

Cutting Edge?

I'm pretty sure I never thought traffic lights (or stop lights, or if your from middle of nowhere Wisconsin stop and gos) could be cutting edge. They are plain and simple lights with red, yellow, and green to let you know when you can go through an intersection. There are some variations of course, each town likes to come up with the best version of this simple traffic device.

A certain town I have been visiting on a pretty regular basis over the past year seems to want to be on the cutting edge of traffic lights. The first variation I had the pleasure to experience I would not recommend for any town that does not have an unusually high population of blind people. I know several towns have the lights that beep when changing...this town's was the first to keep me up at night. This experience with the lights actually was one reason I had a bad opinion of the town for several years (this girl likes her sleep)

This past weekend I was back (as I often am now adays as I have found a reason to overcome my dislike for the town) They have begun to upgrade another set of lights. This upgrade I am actually a fan of. The lights have a display positioned below the walk/don't walk sign. The display counts down for 10 seconds before the light turns yellow. I am such a fan in all regards and more towns need to adopt such lights.

I guess I am silly and such a thing should not excite me, but eh I'm random and weird and proud of it :p

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm, I wonder what town that could be. you make me giggle.

stop and go lights is the stupidest phrase ever and should not be associated with wisconsin.

Anonymous said...

Lexington had both the beeping lights and the counting lights. I appreciated them. "Stop and go lights" are the norm! he he he