20 December 2006

Injured

I hurt my knee two weeks ago tomorrow. Anyone that's known me for any period of time probably isn't surprised. I've been beating up my knees for years. I've been relatively injury free for awhile now. Nothing has sidelined me for more than a day or two since 2003. But two weeks ago tomorrow...

Two weeks ago tomorrow my knees started hurting so badly I was afraid I'd have to actually go to a doctor again. Before anyone else asks no, I didn't fall or run into anything. I wasn't even running in the cold (as had been planned for that night) or on a hard surface. I was running on a treadmill, I really don't know what went wrong. I only ran 4 miles.

But when I was done with those measly 4 miles on the dreadmill(seriously who runs on a treadmill for fun? Running outside=fun and relaxing, Treadmill=painful) I couldn't walk right. I stretched, iced my knee and went to sleep hoping it'd be better in the morning. I didn't sleep well that night. Stupid knee hurt to be touched, the next day I hobbled around work, stairs were the devil. Slowly, slowly I've been able to walk without limping. I couple days ago I started taking the stairs without thinking about the pain.

The worse part of this is I haven't been able to do any sort of exercise. Without my exercise I'm a sad little girl. I've read up on my symptoms and I think I have Patellar tendinitis sound advice says stay off it. Don't run. I even read that I should rest for 3 weeks. 3 weeks! and from what I've read that's for an injury that isn't as debilitating as mine, I don't want to go another week. I want to run again asap. I think I can do it, I mean I can walk without pain now so that means I can run, right? But of course now the weather's getting icky. Seriously last week the weather was wonderful and now winter decides to come. Is the weather trying to tell me to take more time off? I am going to choose to ignore it and run as soon as I get time (holidays and work are trying to get in the way of my running time) I guess I really am a crazy runner...

No comments: